Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Writer's Review of “All the Tea in China" by Jane Orcutt

{My Review}

I truly enjoyed reading this book upon having it recommended to me by a writer-friend of mine. Being that I write historical romance from first person point of view, I am always on the lookout for such books to read. I loved that it was written strictly from the point of view of the heroine, Isabella, and that the reader gets to know Phineas Snow right along with her.

For the first 75% of this book I was COMPLETELY in love with it. I loved the characters, the writing, the plot... but then the last 25% was so much more telling, and mainly about the hero's mother and the heroine. It was still a good story to the end, but it just seemed like a much different book during that last quarter. What I liked most was that it was written in the kind of first person POV that I love best--at least for most of it. 

I do wish there were more of this kind of book in the Christian publishing market. All the Tea in China was published back in 2007, and soon after that the author unfortunately passed away. I bought this book (here) because I adored that first 75% so much.

All the Tea in China by Jane Orcutt currently has a rating of 3.66 out of 5 stars (from 406 ratings) on Goodreads.

{Blurb from GoodReads}

The good young Englishwoman knows that her destiny depends upon a good marriage match. But Isabella Goodrich is not your typical good young Englishwoman. After an encounter with those less fortunate than she, witty and fun-loving Isabella makes a shocking decision. Against everyone's advice and wishes, she is going to become a missionary in the Far East. Fighting against cultural expectations, common sense, and a mentor who is not as he seems, Isabella leaves her predictable Oxford life behind and sets sail to a new world fraught with danger. Can she trust the mysterious missionary Phineas Snowe? Or will her adventure end before it even begins? This first novel in the Rollicking Regency series will delight readers who like high adventure, twisting plots, and a fun bit of romance.


No comments: